Friday, June 8, 2012

Meet our faculty - Mr. William (Bill) Massey, Visual Arts

We are excited to share with you a little bit about our newest faculty member, Bill Massey.

I grew up on a small farm in Northampton County where, beginning at age six, I was reared by my paternal grandmother.  I tell you that because there is not better preparation for life than hard work on a farm, and the guiding influence of a wise and caring grandparent.  Though a native North Carolinian, I lived and worked all over the world in my former corporate career in which I held marketing executive positions with IBM, Exxon, Sheraton, and GE. 

My interest in visual art was sparked while serving as Chief Operating Officer for a large advertising agency in Boston, MA, prompting me to attend the Massachusetts College of Art and North Carolina State University's College of Art and Design where I obtained a bachelor of arts degree.

Combining my business experience with my art education, I subsequently held creative director positions with prominent advertising agencies in Boston, MA, Denver, CO, and Raleigh, NC.

My passion for teaching was ignited when I conducted a series of seminars on the role of art and design in business.  Thus inspired, I obtained a North Carolina K-12 visual arts teaching certification and taught middle school art and AVID in Granville County, where I was a Teacher of the Year in 2009.  

In addition to my educational pursuits at NC State and Mass Art, and in my ongoing quest to constantly learn as I teach, I have taken numerous art or education classes at Barton College, Campbell University, and North Carolina Central University.  

Now, armed with all that I am and all that I know, I enthusiastically embark, with my fellow faculty members at RTHS, upon this journey into the minds and lives of our students, and with our students into their futures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment